Contravention Code 51

Failing to comply with a no entry sign. (Contravention Code 51)



Local authorities are now enforcing this contravention using CCTV enforcement.


Sample signs:




How to have your penalty charge notice (PCN) for this parking contravention cancelled.

We may be able to assist you in having your penalty charge notice for this contravention cancelled.

Follow our 3 stage process:

1 Check: Specific grounds for appeal for this contravention (below on this page)

2 Check: What a Penalty Charge Notice must contain

3 Check: Statutory grounds for appeal for Moving Traffic Contraventions


Specific grounds of appeal for this contravention

As the contravention is that of “failing to comply with a no entry sign,” it is important to remember that in order to prove this contravention that the enforcing authority must actually show you passing the sign. It is not sufficient to simply show you in or entering a one way street. You can ask to see the video or photographic evidence. This only applies if the words “Failing to comply with a no entry sign” are present. However regardless of this the enforcing authority must prove that the signs were clear and compliant on the day of the contravention in order to enforce this.

There are 6 more ways that you can have your penalty charge notice cancelled for this offence. We have even summarised adjudicator’s decisions where motorists have won.


You need to be logged in to see this part of the content.

Please or [ Register ]. Get the information to appeal against your PCN!

Now take a look at the adjudicators decisions for this contravention.


Back to Moving Traffic